Thursday, August 1, 2013

Lend Me A Bird

I found this somewhere on the internet a number of years ago.  I can't remember the source but it may have been Backyard Chickens. 

It touched me then and it touches me deeper now.  My dear sweet, Lulu, you had so many lessons for us to learn.  You were a wonderful teacher.  God Bless You


Lend Me A Bird

"I will lend to you for a while a bird" God said, for you
  to love her while she lives and mourn for her when she's dead.
 
  Maybe for twelve or fourteen years or maybe two or three,
  but will you til I call her back, take care of her for me?
 
  She'll bring her charms to gladden you and should her stay be brief,
  you'll always have her memories as solace for your grief.
 
  I cannot promise that she'll stay since all from earth return,
  but there are lessons taught below, I want this bird to learn.
 
  I've looked the whole world over in search of teachers true,
  and from the folds that crowd life's land I have chosen you.
 
  Now will you give her all your love; not think the labor vain;
  nor hate me when I come to take my lovely bird again?
 
  I fancied that I heard them say, "Dear Lord, thy will be done,
  for all the joys this bird will bring, the risk of grief we'll run."
 
  Will you shelter her with tenderness? Will you love her while you may?
  And for the happiness you will know, forever grateful stay?
 
  But should I call her back much sooner than you've planned;
  please brave the bitter grief that comes and try to understand.
 
  If by your love you've managed my wishes to achieve,
  in memory of her you've loved; be thankful; do not grieve
 
  Cherish every moment of your feathered charge. She filled your home with song of joy
  for time she was alive. Let not her passing take from you those memories to enjoy
 
  "I will lend to you a Bird" God said and teach you all you have to do
  And when I call her back to heaven, you will know she loved you too
 
  -Author Unknown-

adapted from Edgar Albert Guest's  
A Child of Mine



4 comments:

  1. Oh Joan, that is so lovely xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is isn't it. All chickens lovers who lost a dear feathered friend can relate to it.

      Delete
    2. Very much so x

      I hope you are holding up Joan. I know it is so very hard to lose one of our girls and Lulu was a special girl indeed xxxx

      Delete
    3. I have good and bad moments. It is the worst when I'm in bed and my mind won't stop or when it is quiet and I believe I hear Lulu and realize she is not there. Thanks for your kinds words and thoughts.

      Delete