Monday, November 19, 2012

Lazy Man Cabbage Rolls

 
Since I blanched and froze quite a bit chopped cabbage (I had trouble with the heads splitting this summer), I decided to make some Lazy Man Cabbage Rolls.  You can make this recipe in your crockpot but I left mine in the trailer with Barry so I made them in the oven.  I had never used frozen cabbage for this and was interested to see how they would turn out. 
 
I brought the cabbage out several days early and thawed it in a container in the fridge.  You need to drain the cabbage before you can use it.
 
 
I mix together about 1 - 1 1/2 pounds of hamburger and 1 - 1 1/2 cups rice.  I add salt and pepper to this.  You could also add chopped onion if you wish. 

 
I then mix in a quart sealer of canned tomatoes.  I break the tomatoes up so the chunks are small. 

 
Put half the cabbage in the bottom of a roaster or casserole dish.  I almost always use a roaster so I have less chance of my casseroles boiling over. 

 
Place hamburger - rice mixture onto cabbage. 

 
Sprinkle on the rest of the cabbage. 

 
Mix a can of tomato soup with 3/4 can of water and pour it on top

 
Cook at 350°F for about 1 hour.  You can eat it as is or you can serve it with some sour cream.   

 
 
 I was very pleased with the taste and texture of the cabbage.  I would be hard pressed to tell the difference in taste between fresh and frozen. 


3 comments:

  1. Hi Joan, greetings from Northern Ontario. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe. I was just talking to a fellow co-worker about cabbage rolls. Looking forward to trying your recipe

    ReplyDelete