Monday, November 12, 2012

Blackberry Peach Muffins

I found a recipe for Blackberry Peach Muffins  and wanted to try it ever since we had fresh peaches, blackberries and cream for dessert this summer.  Peaches and blackberries taste awesome together!

I didn't get the muffins made while I had fresh fruit available but decided to try them with fruit I froze this summer.  I had read on the internet that you can freeze peaches whole - just pick ripe, unblemished ones and pop them in freezer bags.  To use, take them out and when they are still frozen but a bit soft, place them  under running water and you can peel them very easily.  I have been eating some of the peaches, semi-frozen and they are very nice.  The texture isn't the same as raw but they are not mush either.

After I read the recipe in the blog, I found the original blogger made several goofs.  She mentioned adding egg but didn't have it in the list of ingredients.  So I checked out her original recipe (Apple Blackberry Muffins) and the current one and tried to correct the ingredients.

Ingredients
1 c peaches, peeled and cut into chunks (about 1 to 2 peaches)
1 c blackberries
1/2 c sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 c flour (I needed almost 2 1/4 c) (I would try 1 3/4 c next time)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 c milk (I would try 1/2 c next time)
1/3 c oil  (I would try 1/4 c next time)

 
Peel and chop peaches.
 
 
Add blackberries.  The original recipe said to mix sugar, cinnamon and fruit together.  I did but wouldn't do it that way again.  I found that the peaches got too mushy - maybe because they were originally frozen not fresh.  Next time, I would mix all the dry ingredients together and stir in the fruit.

 
Mix rest of dry ingredients with the fruit.

 
Stir together egg, milk and oil.  Add to rest of ingredients and mix only until combined.  The less you stir muffins the better they are.  If you mix them too much, they become tough.  I had to add almost 1/4 cup more flour to the recipe.  Next time, I would add less milk instead. 

 
The original recipe said to fill 12 greased muffin tins 2/3 full.  I had enough extra batter to fill 2 small Pyrex bowls as well. 

 
Cook at 375°F for 25-30 minutes.  The muffins were tasty but you couldn't see many peach chunks.  I would cut the peaches larger next time and mix them with the dry ingredients instead of the sugar.  I would also add less milk so not to toughen the muffins by the addition of the extra flour.

 
 
 





5 comments:

  1. So originally I was going to make this for my fiance and then last minute decided I wanted them too (fresh picked blackberries and peaches smelled too good!) so I tried to make them gluten free (I have an allergy, he does not). I used your suggested measurements, except with coconut flour (and a teaspoon of xantham gum), oh and soy milk, which I needed to add more than 1 cup of. Don't know if the coconut flour just soaks it up more or what... I haven't worked with it much. I also wish I had used coconut milk, which I noticed I still had as I was pouring the soy. My batter was still on the drier side. We shall see how they come out!! This was my first time trying to make a recipe gluten-free, normally I just will look up gf specific stuff...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like them and they turn out for you with the gf changes you made. They will probably be much nicer with fresh peaches as you will be able to bite into peach bits.

      Delete
  2. Made these this morning with fresh picked peaches & blackberries, with a handful of raspberries thrown in. Used your recommendations & they were beautiful, delicious, & a big hit with the family. Substituted unsweetened oat milk for the milk & used 1/2 C. Used 1/4 oil. Mixed all dry ingredients (including sugar) then mixed in fruit to coat. Baked for 25 minutes & made 12 perfect muffins. Definitely will be making again

    ReplyDelete