Monday, July 2, 2012

Freezing Spinach

I had an over-abundance of spinach this year.  We ate it steamed, in salad, and in soup.  I decided to try to freeze some.  I found the following link giving three ways to prepare the spinach to freeze.  I decided on steaming it.
http://voices.yahoo.com/how-freeze-spinach-3-methods-5303177.html?cat=22


First wash spinach thoroughly.


Add about 1 to 2 inches of water in your blancher and bring to a boil.  I used the blancher instead of my steamer because it holds more at once.  I kept the water below the bottom of the top blancher part so all the spinach would steam.  If some of the leaves were in the boiling water they would cook at a different rate.  Spinach is quite touchy as you don't want it to turn to mush by over-cooking it.  You just want it limp.



Loosely fill top of blancher.  Don't pack to tightly or all the leaves won't steam at the same rate.  Steam for 1 to 2 minutes.  I found 1minute and 45 seconds worked for me.


Allow to drain and cool in colander.



I used my salad spinner to remove as much moisture as I could.  You have to spread the spinach around the bottom of the spinner or it will be uneven and hard to turn.


I them bagged the spinach to freeze for later use.  I want to try it resteamed when thawed and to use some in soup this winter.  I'll let you know how it turned out when I use some.






No comments:

Post a Comment