Monday, November 28, 2011

Applesauce Sourdough Bread Revisited

Last year I posted my Applesauce Sourdough Bread.   http://mountaingardengleanings.blogspot.com/2010/12/sourdough-applesauce-bread.html

I decided to revisit this recipe to talk about the add-ins.  My bread is never the same twice because the add-ins change depending on what I have available.  I always double the recipe and get 6 loaves so the amounts below are for that amount.

I usually beef up the whole wheat flour with several of the following:  wheat germ, bran,  oatmeal, oat bran. I usually add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of several or all.

I also add flax.  I add whole seeds for fiber and I grind some in the coffee grinder to help lower cholesterol.  I read that whole flax seeds don't help with cholesterol so I add both.  I usually add around 1/2 cup total - whole and ground flax.

I have also bought some whole grains from time to time - wheat, etc. and run them through the coffee grinder to break them up a bit.  Last time I baked, I added 3/4 cup of whole wheat grain and ground it slightly to break up the kernels of wheat.

I also like to add seeds.  My favorite is sunflower seeds but have added pumpkin seeds, poppy seeds, and/or sesame seeds as well.  I often add about 1 cup of sunflower seeds and 1/4 to 1/3 cup of sesame and/or poppy seeds.

When I am making the bread I mix all my add-ins in a bowl and add part of it into the mixer while adding the flour.  I then add the whole wheat flour and finish with the white flour.  When I make six loaves, I usually mix a quarter of the dough at once.  So to do this  start with 2 to 2 1/2 cups of liquid.  I then add about 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups of add-ins, 1 to 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour and about 1 to 2 cups of white flour.

I have also thought about adding raisins, cranberries or other dried fruit but haven't as of yet.  I think I would only make a single recipe (3 loaves) if I added fruit.  I have also toyed with the idea of adding pumpkin instead of applesauce.  Maybe someday.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment