Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pear Juice and Pear Butter

We had a huge crop of pears this year so I decided to try some Pear Butter.  When you make fruit butter you need to cook the fruit for a long time to reduce the juice so the fruit is thick and spreadable.  I decided to make juice first and then use the pulp for the butter. 

I started with a couple of recipes and made my own.  Here are a couple of the links that started me off:  http://bad-girls-kitchen.blogspot.com/2008/09/pear-butter.html   http://frugalliving.about.com/od/recipes/r/Pear_Butter.htm   http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/pear-butter/detail.aspx

Ingredients
2 ½ quarts pear pulp (from juicer – cored not peeled)
½ c orange juice
2 c sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp cloves


Pick pears that are mostly ripe.  I had two sinkfuls of pears to use.



Wash and core.  Remove blemishes or bad spots there is but no need to peel. 


I do not need to core the pears to juice them but since I was going to use the pulp I did core them.  Juice the pears and pour into a large pot.  Heat to boiling point then simmer 5 to 10 minutes. 


Fill sterilized jars and process for 10 minutes in hot water bath. 


I ended up with 7 quarts of juice.  It is quite thick - more like a nectar instead of juice but it is quite tasty. 


Now onto the butter.  I placed the pear pulp into the crock pot along with 2 cups of left over pear juice.  I decided to add the juice because the pulp was fairly dry.   


 I cooked the pears on low for about five hours with the lid on, stirring occasionally.  Some fruit butter recipes have you keep the lid ajar so moisture escapes but it wasn't needed in my case.


I then ran the pears through my sieve to remove the peels.  In one of the links, they used an immersion blender to blend the pulp and peels.  I do not have one so did it my way.  I also found the peels were still tough - if you don't juice the pears first you need to cook much longer to reduce the liquid so the peels will have more time to soften. 


Since I did it this way, I probably did not have to core the pears first.  Oh well, one step less for next time.  There was not much waste left for the compost pile. 


I then measured the pulp so I would know how much sugar, etc. to add.  I had around 10 cups of pulp. 


The pulp was returned to the crock pot and orange juice was added. 


Sugar and spices were also added.  I used cinnamon and cloves because my mom used to can pears with cloves when I was young and I liked the taste.  You can use ginger or nutmeg instead if you prefer. 


Stir together and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours for the flavours to blend. 


Stir occasionally until smooth and heated through. 


Fill sterilized jars and process for 10 minutes in a hot water bath. 


I got 6 1/2 pints of pear butter. 





4 comments:

  1. Oh, YUMMO!!!

    Did Lulu keep you company while you were cooking? Just love your Lulu stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, that pear butter looks divine. We planted 4 different varieties of pears in our orchard a few years ago, so when they start bearing 'too much' fruit (is that possible?), I'm definitely going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flock Mistress - Lulu does not help in the kitchen. She gets underfoot and I'm afraid I'll step on her so I put her up on her footstool where she is out of reach of my feet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete