Monday, October 17, 2011

Faux Pineapple or Zucchini Pineapple

Two years ago I found this recipe and made some Faux Pineapple.  I got the recipe from the following link. http://www.food.com/recipe/zucchini-pineapple-faux-pineapple-u-s-d-a-376373

I shredded the zucchini but found it wasn't close enough to crushed pineapple for my liking.  This year I tried it again with several changes and I am much happier with it.
Ingredients
16+ c packed zucchini  (either chopped or cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
1 liter unsweetened pineapple juice
1 1/2 c lemon juice

3 c sugar


I had a large zucchini that I used for this recipe.  First peel and remove the seeds and innards.  This zucchini was very hard skinned and I needed to use a knife instead of a peeler.


Now I wanted crushed pineapple so I decided to try the food processor.  If you want pineapple tidbits, cut the zucchini into small cubes.


I then cut the zucchini into pieces to fit into the food processor.


I am holding several of the chunks so you get an idea of the size I used.


I processed the zucchini until it was chopped fairly fine.  This zucchini was not too juicy so it didn't turn to mush.  If you have a softer zucchini try pulse so you don't over process it.


Measure about 16 cups and add to your heavy canning pot.


Add one liter of pineapple juice.  The original recipe asked for 46 oz but I found it a little too runny.  So I decided to only add a liter (which is about 33 oz).


Add lemon juice.


Add sugar and stir together.


Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.  Stir to keep from sticking to the pot and burning.


Fill sterilized jars leaving 1/2" to 1" head space.  Wipe jars and tighten tops.  Process in hot water bath for 15 minutes.  Makes around 11 pints.  I probably had closer to 18 cups of zucchini so you probably would get 9 or 10 pints.


Some recipes call for yellow food colouring but I never use the stuff.  I think it looks close enough to crushed pineapple without the food colouring anyway.  Enjoy!  ;)


Follow up: I would have liked it to have a bit more juice so would add a bit more next time.  The last time I made it, it might have been runny because I didn't add extra zucchini and it was probably a softer one so it turned juicier. 



1 comment: