Monday, January 10, 2011

Hamburger Rice Casserole

I like cooking casseroles and other one dish meals.  I think it came from when the boys were young and time was at a premium.  I enjoy meals that you can whip up in a hurry and let cook on their own while you are busy doing other things.  The idea of the meal looking after itself is still a priority with the garden, chickens, canning and processing the fruit and veggies taking up a large portion of my time from early spring to late autumn.

The recipe was adapted from the link below:
http://www.recipe4living.com/recipes/hamburger_rice_casserole.htm
I often double recipes so we have leftovers or so we can freeze part of them for another time (depending on the casserole).  I usually use my roaster to cook the casseroles in because there is less chance of boiling over.

Ingredients

1 1/2 lb. hamburger
1 1/2 cups rice
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 can sliced mushrooms
1 medium onion, chopped   ** I left it out of the recipe this time
6 TBSP soy sauce
6 cups boiling water
Salt and pepper to taste  ** I also added a pinch of parsley and seasoning salt.


Measure rice into casserole dish.


Brown hamburger with chopped onion and season with salt, pepper, seasoning salt. 


Pour boiling water into casserole dish with rice and add mushroom soup.  Sprinkle in parsley. 


Stir until the soup is broken up.


 Add soy sauce, mushrooms and cooked hamburger mixture.  


Cook at 350F for an hour.  Serve with side salad and a hot vegetable.  Enjoy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment