Monday, December 20, 2010

Sourdough Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies

These are our favorite sourdough cookies.  I keep them separate from the other cookies so they stay soft and chewy.  If I put them in the cookie jar with the others, they lose their moistness and become rather dry.

This recipe comes from the Robin Hood Sherwood recipes.
Ingredients
1 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 1/2 c. rolled oats
1 c. shortening  **  I use margarine or butter  ** sometimes I substitute 1/2 cup of applesauce for 1/2 of the shortening
1 c. sugar    ** I use 1/2 cup sugar
½ c brown sugar   ** I use 1/4 cup brown sugar
1 c. sourdough
2 eggs
1/4 c. water
1 c chocolate chips or raisins  ** I often combine chocolate and butterscotch chips
1/2 c. nuts  ** I sometimes use sunflower seeds instead of nuts

Combine flour, soda and oats.


Cream together shortening and sugars. Beat in eggs.


Add sourdough and water.


Add flour mixture. Mix well.


Stir in chips and nuts.


Drop by teaspoonful onto lightly greased baking sheet.


Bake at 350 for 10 to 12 min. Makes about 4 dozen cookies.




I always seem to get 5 to 6 dozen instead of 4 dozen as the recipe suggests.  To get the 4 dozen, you would probably need to use a tablespoon instead of teaspoon.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! We just came across your recipe for sourdough cookies and thought we would extend an invitation to join our monthly baking group. Sourdough Surprises is a group that focuses on fun and unique ways to use our sourdough starter and this month we are featuring cookies! We would love to have you stop by and link your recipe up! :)

    ReplyDelete