Monday, November 29, 2010

Grandma's Sourdough Scones

This is one of the sourdough recipes I got from my grandmother years ago

1 cup flour
dash salt
1 TBSP baking powder (yes tablespoon)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup oil
1 cup sourdough
Optional: your choice of 1/2 c raisins, cranberries, candied peel, dried fruit, etc.

Mix together dry ingredients.  Then add the rest of the ingredients and stir.  I added raisins to mine to make raisin scones.


Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead 8 to 10 times.


Roll or flatten until 1/2 to 3/4" thick.  I pat mine into a rectangular shape.


 Cut into diamond shapes.  I cut mine into wedges instead.  I first cut them into rectangles.


Then I cut each piece on the diagonal.


Place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 375F for 10 to 12 minutes.


Remove from pan and serve.  You can serve them with butter, honey, or jam.

5 comments:

  1. Joan I can't wait to give these a try! They look wonderful and I love the fact that you got the recipe from your Grandmother.
    the wanna be country girl - Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry, but took 3 bites (to be sure) and threw out the entire batch. I followed directions completely, adding blueberries & poppy seeds. When the scones were cut and on the baking sheet, I realized there was ZERO sugar in the recipe so I added a very generous layer of course sugar to the top and hoped for the best.

    When finished, had they not tasted overwhelmingly of baking powder/metal, they would have been edible because of the blueberries and sugar (still not great). But the metal taste was big and awful. Sorry - they looked really nice, but I will not be making these again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good!! I added raisins and cinnamon to mine. Quick and easy. I will make these again! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this on Pinterest, I started a sourdough a few months ago, and tried this recipe today. I opened this up having not seen ingredients before and was so excited to find there was no sugar!

    Super simple and amazing. It reminds me of scones my grandmother made years ago.
    I added it to my recipe book after I finished the first scone.

    Thank you so much Joan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super quick,very tasty I added dried cranberries and some sugar. Highly recommend and will make again and again.

    ReplyDelete